Friday, March 7, 2008

An Exciting Book

For some time now I've wondered at what point Jesus knew who he was. I've been curious about his childhood, too--did he get sick, did he have friends, was he "normal?" The Bible gives us so little about him between birth and the Wedding at Cana. I've wondered about his relationship with his parents and sibling. I just want to know.

Well I found a wonderful book that speaks to my curiosity. The name of it is Christ the Lord. I heard about it a couple years ago but was reluctant to read it because of the author. Anne Rice usually writes vampire novels and I wasn't sure what kind of Jesus story she might write. But I was in the library the other day and decided to take a chance on it. What a treat. The story is told from the viewpoint of a seven or eight year old Jesus. It begins when Joseph is told of God in a dream to return to Nazareth, that King Herod is dead. Jesus hears his extended family talking about when they went to Exodus in the first place. Jesus is very curious. He knows he was born in Bethlehem but no one will tell him what happened to cause them to leave the Holy Land for Egypt. Joseph assures him that he will tell Jesus when he's older. We are with Jesus as he sees the Temple for the first time. We sit with him as he studies under the rabbis and Pharisees, learning about the history of the Jews and memorizing psalms and prayers...hear, oh Israel, the Lord our God is one. Gradually he comes to realize he has different abilities from other boys. He prays for his critically ill uncle and the uncle is completely healed. He wishes it would stop raining and it does.

The book is, of course, fiction, but it's a good example of how it might have happened. Anne Rice is a Catholic so she treats Mary as a perpetual virgin, explaining that James, Jesus' brother is Joseph's son by a previous marriage and his other brothers and sisters are adopted when their mother dies. Joseph seems to be okay with this arrangement. It's certainly not gospel but a great read. Rice has a new book out that starts with the Wedding at Cana. I cannot wait to read it.

1 comment:

slimsdotter said...

I heard the review of this book on the radio and was intrigued, too. But I'll tell you the truth, I don't like sad endings, and I figure any book like that about Jesus is gonna make me sad. Let me know if it isn't, and I'll read it. Cause it does sound interesting.