Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Happy New Year

Well 2008 is here. Our Christmas tree is still up. After making a fuss about having to put it up now I'm loathe to take it down. I enjoy its cheerful presence in the evening; plus the holidays will "officially" be over when it comes down and all we'll be left with is winter. Winter is very difficult for me. I struggle with Seasonal Affective Disorder or SAD. The lack of sunlight does something to my brain chemistry making me depressed and irritable, susceptible to crying, overeating, oversleeping and just being miserable as well as making those around me miserable. In an effort to provide myself with the light I need I wear a special visor that has a light on it that shines directly into my eyes. I wear it for 30 minutes to an hour every day and it does seem to help. I also have several projects lined up to keep me occupied when I'm not working.

I'm in the process of redoing Tommy's room. He wants it decorated in an Ohio State Buckeyes motif. I've been painting it white, then I have a two foot tall Brutus to stencil on the wall as well as an "Ohio State Buckeyes" border for under the ceiling. Tom is going to run the wire to provide a ceiling light as there has never been one in that room. I can only paint on bright days due to the otherwise lack of light. After that room is completed I'm planning to turn Doug's room into an office for me. My new laptop needs a home other than the kitchen table.

My kitchen needs reorganized and I want to paint the cupboards. I'm also planning to work with my parents on an oral history of their lives. By the time I accomplish all this it will be spring and I'll be bouncing off the walls with renewed energy and zest for living .

My "resolution " is to work toward more balance in my life, i.e. more vegetables, less sweets, more exercise, less sitting around like a lump, more reading, less TV, more cooking, less eating out, etc.

It's time for me to get ready for work so I'll wind it up. P.S. I still love my job and have to pinch myself that I don't have to go to the prison. YES!!!

No comments: