Wednesday, April 16, 2008

A New Habit

One of the mental illnesses I deal with is anxiety. According to all the sources I read as well as my therapist harping on it, exercise is one of the best ways to cope with it. Monday I had a particularly difficult day and in desperation decided to give it a try. You have to know that to me exercise has equaled punishment. I am a slug and am the first to admit it. But like I said, I was desperate. So I went for a walk. It's a mile from our house to the lake so I trudged along til I got to Lake Road then turned around and trudged back. Well, it made me feel so much better I did it again yesterday. I keep thinking about the endorphins and the increase in neurotransmitters in my brain and the studies that say regular exercise helps stave off dementia. Plus, after it's over I just feel better. Hopefully, I've started a healthy new habit.

1 comment:

The Pastor of a Small Rural Church said...

Way to go!!!! We missed you today. Vincent told me that his "real teacher" was not here today so "Mrs. Rodgers had to take care of me." LOL Big hugs from me!!!

Julie