Monday, April 21, 2008

"Going For a Walk" vs "Exercise"

Why does walking down the road alone seem like exercise but pushing a wheelchair feels like merely taking a pleasant stroll? Thursday I took Maggie, my little patient, for a walk around the block in her wheelchair. The sun was shining warmly above us and a breeze was blowing. We just kept walking; we walked around that silly block three times! We watched a squirrel scampering in a pile of limbs and sticks left from the ice storm, admired a little boy's new bike and shiny helmet and enjoyed a patch of daffodils. We walked as long as I do when I do it for exercise but I didn't want to go in I was having such a nice time! Maggie doesn't talk but I'm sure she was loving it, too.

Why, I wonder, don't I enjoy my "exercise walks" this much? Maybe I need to get a wheelchair to push. Or a cute little dog to walk.

2 comments:

slimsdotter said...

Maybe you could take your camera along on the days you walk by yourself... then you could share your walk with us. (Mom says the spring flowers are out). I for one am very easily amused, and you are a really good writer. You could make a picture of a pothole interesting, I bet.

The Pastor of a Small Rural Church said...

I think Slimsdotter needs to start a blog!!! We want to see lots of pics and read lots of stories about the wild wild west!!! :-)

And, Cindy, you look very nice already after your big loss last year!! You'll do great!!!

Julie