Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Wrapping Presents and Other Christmas Joys

There are some tasks I usually put off until the last possible moment and gift wrapping is one of those. Yesterday, though, I did the unthinkable. There was a bulging Barnes and Noble bag on one of the kitchen chairs and I knew it would drive me crazy until it was put away. For some strange reason I went to the closet, hauled out the wrapping paper, bows, and scotch tape and started to wrap. I wrapped all the gifts for Jeff's family then started on the books. Two hours later I had wrapped every single present in the house. To say I felt smug would be an understatement. And it gets better. One of my internet purchases came today and at this minute it is safely wrapped, beribboned and awaiting a place under the tree, if we ever get the tree up.

Speaking of the Christmas tree, I 'd just as soon not put one up. The Big Scary Guy is allergic to real pine trees and I'm sick and tired of our artificial one. If I could afford all new ornaments every year maybe I'd feel differently, but I know this year's tree will look just like last year's tree which looked just like the previous year's tree. I enjoy all the outdoor lighting displays around town and think bright colored lights are a wonderful way to celebrate Jesus' birth. But for me putting up a Christmas tree isn't worth the effort. Tom says I'm crazy.

One of the best parts of Christmas for me is the music. I love the carols. This year I bought Mannheim Steamroller's new CD as well as "One Wintry Night" by David Phelps. He puts his own spin on the music so it's a little different than we're used to but for the most part I like it a lot. All except "I'll Have a Blue, Blue Christmas Without You." He could have left that one out.

I treated myself to a 2 CD set of "Messiah" by George F. Handel. If I could only have one type of Christmas music this would be it. I always get the chills listening to it. In fact, I listen to it all year long which is why I bought a new set this year. My old one was scratched.

Tommy loves to listen to Dave Koz who plays the saxophone in a soft jazz style. A couple of years ago we took him to a Dave Koz Christmas concert. I believe it was quite nice although what I remember most is the seats were made for folks much narrower than I. It was a long two hours. Tommy, however, had a wonderful time. We listen to Koz's Christmas CDs every year and enjoy them very much. Several years ago I bought a CD by a group called Rockapella. They sing in a pop a capella style and the songs are fun. Tom and I like to play it very loudly on the car CD player as we're driving down the road.

The beef stew is smelling great and Tom's due home any minute so it's time to turn off the computer. Have a great day!

1 comment:

The Pastor of a Small Rural Church said...

Oh, Cindy, I'll come help you put up your tree!!! The Big Scary Guy won't be able to have Christmas without one!!! At least a table top one....

Manheim Steamrollers is one of our favorites too... I've heard that David Phelps is really good although I've never heard him..

Oh.... so that was you and Tom we passed the other night at the stop light!! The music was so loud the car was bouncing!!! (just kidding)

Have a great time at Jeff's!!

Julie