Friday, August 22, 2008

The Rest of Our Mini Vacation

On our little getaway we traveled south from Port Clinton to Dayton to one of our favorite places, The Airforce Museum at Wright Patterson Air Base. We've been there three times and I never tire of it. I'm always humbled by the sacrifices represented by each plane, especially the World War II fighters and bombers. They look so fragile I can't imagine going up in one of them , nevermind having someone shooting at me! We saw planes, too, from the Viet Nam era and helicopters, The Big Scary Guy's favorite aircraft. The memorabilia from the men who served on the planes is impressive as well. There were huge intercontinental ballistic missles on display and to tell the truth, they gave me the heebie jeebies. I was especially impressed, however, with the F-15 stealth bomber---COOL!

We attended two IMAX presentations while we were there, too. One was on helicopter flight and the other had alot of flying in it but I can't remember exactly what it was about. With the mammoth screen you feel like you are aboard the aircraft and it is awesome!

The first time we went there we travelled to another hangar on the base where the old Air Force Ones are stored. As a history buff, I was in hog heaven! At one point I was alone on the plane that brought JFKs body back from Dallas and where LBJ was sworn in as President. I get goose bumps just thinking about. I bought myself a mug that says "Air Force One."


I took a bazillion pictures of the planes. Here are just a few of them.













This museum is a "must see" for aviation and history buffs alike. I can't wait for our next visit.

2 comments:

The Pastor of a Small Rural Church said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Pastor of a Small Rural Church said...

Just keep checking this blog for some news from Conneaut and Lake Erie Street....:)

Pastor

By the way thanks so much for making those blankets for the cradle roll. You did an awesome job!