Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Elementary, My Dear Readers!

I've always enjoyed Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories. When we were first married Tom gave me a thick book with small print that contained all the stories and I read it cover to cover. I loved that book. Saturday I got to see the great detective work his magic in the flesh when Tom and I traveled to the Erie Playhouse for "Sherlock Holmes, the Final Chapter." And there he was, Sherlock Holmes in person, complete with deerstalker cap, mershaum pipe and violin. He cut a magnificent figure in period costume including a floor length cape. And of course we got to hear him utter those famous lines "elementary, my dear Watson," and "the game's afoot!"
The play was narrated by an elderly Dr. Watson just as in the book. The only woman who ever got the better of Holmes, Irene Adler, figured prominently in the play as did his nemesis Professor Moriarity. As in any good piece of fiction, the ending was delightfully twisted. We had a great time.
On Sunday afternoon we went to University Hospitals in Cleveland to visit Tom's dad who had undergone surgery for an abdominal aortic aneurism. Much to our pleasure he is doing quite well. Monday he transferred to a nursing home for a couple weeks of rehabilitation. We're planning to visit him today after Tom gets off work.
All in all, a nice weekend.